Basic Drawing In Flash I
A lesson in Lines and fill
You will need this file
1. Open Flash and open a new movie by clicking file=> new.
2. Locate the Oval Tool on the tool box.
3. Find the Oval Tool Options on the lower part of the
Color - the color of the outlines, lines, ink bottle and pencil. Click the
swatch to get the color picker and select the color.
- Fill Color - The color of fills, paint bucket and paintbrush. Click
the swatch to get the color picker and select the color.
- Default colors - Sets Black for line, white for fill.
- No Color - Select the line or fill in the options and then click No
Color to set it to no color.
- Reverse Colors will set the fill color to the line color, and the line
color to the fill color.
4. Click the triangle next to the properties inspector below. Notice
line and fill color are also represented there. The line thickness and
style can be set on the properties inspector.
5. Set the oval tool options to the following. Click and drag to draw an
- blue line
- red fill
- line thickness of 4
- line style of dotted line
6. Set the oval tool to the following options. Click and drag to draw an
oval with the shift key held down. Notice the shift key will constrain
- black line
- yellow fill
- line thickness of 1
- line style of solid.
Click the magnifying glass to zoom in on your figures. Notice the line and
fill are very distinct and not pixilated. This is characteristic of vector
drawing: no matter what magnification, the lines and fills are distinct,
Double click the hand tool to bring all into view. (View=>
Magnification=> show all)
Click the rectangle tool in the tool box. The options for the
rectangle tool will appear below. The option for this tool is the
round rectangle radius. Click the button for the round rectangle
radius so you can set the corner for the rectangle. A corner of 0 will
give you a square corner. A corner of 10 will give you a rounded
the rectangle to a radius of 20 points. Draw a rectangle by dragging the
tool across the stage.
Click the pencil tool. Notice the options for the pen tool. The include
- straight line - used to draw straight lines, the shortest
distance between two points.
Select the Straight-line option to draw a pointy star.
- smooth - Used to create curves. Select the Smooth option to draw
a smooth mountain range.
- ink. - used for odd shapes.
Use the stoke color to change the color. Set the thickness of the lines
in the properties window below. Draw a few shape outlines in different
Select the paintbrush tool from the toolbox. The options for the paint brush
are shown on the lower part of the toolbox and include relative size and
shape. There are 5 modes of paint.
- Normal paint will paint over anything, including lines and fill,
replacing what is where you paint.
- Paint fills will only put fills in blank areas.
- Paint backgrounds will paint around any exhibiting paint
- Paint selection will fill in any selected area
- Paint inside will only paint inside closed objects.
Open Duck.fla by clicking file=> open and finding the file you downloaded.
- Select your paint brush set to a wide round brush set to a
medium blue, and mode= inside. Paint the lower half of theimage,
painting right through the duck shape.
- Set the color to green and the brush mode to fill. paint
the upper portion of the image with green
- Set the color to light blue and set mode to behind. paint the
bottom half area around the darker blue to fill in the gaps by
painting the entire area.
- Change the color to yellow and set the mode to selection. Select
your arrow tool and click the inside of the duck to select it.
Switch back to the paint brush and paint over the duck.
- Close your duck image when you are done playing.